Day 1


 First day! I worked from 9-3 today, so a total of 6 hours. This morning I woke up bright and early and drove into South Boston for my first work day. I got to experience the treacheries of Boston rush hour traffic, which was a truly enlightening experience (please take this as sarcasm). When I arrived at Julie's Family Learning Center, I didn't know what to expect. Although I have had many emails and video calls with Michelle, my mentor, I had never seen the space. I was given a tour of the four floors of Julie's, which included the toddler room in the basement, the infant room and preschool room on the next floor, the floor that was just for mother upstairs, and the general adult education floor, which hold anyone 16 and up needing a GED.  The childcare section of Julie's is extremely short-staffed at the moment, so I spent a lot of time there. I spent most of my time in the toddler room, playing with the three kids there, Liam, Noah, and Iyla. It was really cool to take care of these kids and then go upstairs and see their mothers taking classes to really help themselves. I hope to have a similar experience tomorrow because I had a ton of fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1: Summary

Day 2

Day 9